Many new teachers wake in the middle of the night worrying about setting up a classroom, planning for the first day, organizing lessons, and keeping everything engaging. This class will prepare new Supplementary School teachers for the challenges that lie ahead by offering a solid introduction to many core aspects of teaching in a part-time Jewish educational program. Topics include: kehillah (community) building, classroom management, learning styles and multiple intelligences, special needs, child development, lesson planning, instructional strategies, and student engagement.
At the conclusion of each course, participants will be able to:
- Describe strategies to construct a classroom community exemplifying Jewish values
- Develop lesson plans that are practical, goal oriented and measurable.
- Design lessons that can be individualized and geared to a variety of learning styles
- Implement lessons using engaging and motivating strategies
- Investigate and identify classroom management techniques that will encourage student engagement, bolster confidence and foster the creation of an optimal learning environment.