As the demands and pressures of teaching young people continue to put increased scrutiny on schools and teachers, there may be unfulfilled possibilities for informal education programs to supplement traditional classroom experiences. The course work will draw from both not-for-profit and for-profit camp settings to unpack the potentials of informal education to improve learning for students across the United States. The course will be a virtual learning experience, supported by videos, articles, books, case studies, virtual and live discussions.
Course Learning Objectives
1. Students will have a better understanding of Informal Education.
2. Students will better understand their own role as Informal Educators.
3. Students will learn how Informal Education in a Camp Setting has the potential to mitigate perceived education gaps.
4. Students will develop their own view of Informal Education and how to incorporate that in their roles at camp.
5. Students will reflect on their own learning and growth as part of the camp experience